Pages

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

My Position: Changed or Strengthened

What a way to end my LJ blogging...late!  I misread/misunderstood and thought I had until Wednesday at 5pm....my fault.  I sure hope this one is better late than never.  But...my position...changed?  Strengthened?  Oh yeah!

Changed, in that I think deeper about my position now...before, it was there...did I have a position?  I did.  Pro-Israel.  I didn't think much more than that.  It was far removed from my life; there was laundry needing done, dishes always, life going on...the world was still turning, and I was sure life hung in a suspended state of continuation...everything the same, and Jerusalem and her (yes, her!) surroundings were also there...somewhere...doing what she always has...what was that?  I don't know...but life was going on....yes, I cared, but I didn't know very much...so, yes, I changed.  Changed, in that I feel my eyes have been painfully opened to a very tiny piece of reality...Jerusalem is there doing what she always has...but the reality is: people are suffering...both sides....as I see two sides.  I base this on the fact that a wall was built, and it has two sides...sounds simple, but that's what I think....

Strengthened, in that I have been able to draw on all you awesome LJ fellow classmates and learn to listen and believe just a little bit more than I did...learned that there is a history deeper and more painful than I ever could have imagined, with people alive today that seem to live and relive the persecution and suffering that has been a horrid part of life's cycle in Jerusalem and Israel...and continue to face daily questions about livelihood and their future...both sides....both sides with fathers and mothers praying that their children can live to grow up, have a home, a family, and a livelihood of their own, praying for land to support the ideals instilled as part of their identity.  Yes, strengthened to further believe that the pain is real, strengthened to know that all deserve to live and to let live...strengthened to believe that hope is real and lives in the hearts of men and women, and strengthened to know that...there is no solution on the horizon...not that there can't be, not that there won't be, but simply that the road is long and treacherous, and uncertain...but I am mostly strengthened to know that there are young men and women such as you all to help make a difference in this world, one opinion, one hand, and one heart at a time...I am proud of our next generation and I so look forward to seeing what you all do.....






No comments:

Post a Comment