Pages

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Response: Difficult Issue For Me

I think I have been on a mental roller-coaster this class, kind of like labor pains that build, rising and falling, yet more concentrated than the previous ones and never really falling back to the original starting point....Probably the most difficult issue for me was the discussion of the 'wall' in regards to Palestinian and Israeli opinions and boundaries, and the results of these differences.  I could actually feel a turmoil of question building inside myself, to the point that I even drifted into my midnight slumber with these thoughts still running through my mind.  In fact, one night well past midnight I shared with my husband a little bit of what was on my mind....how huge this wall is, the fact that it's not a straight wall, rather one that zigzags in and around communities, dividing people from their land, and how sad I felt for the different people affected.  I especially was troubled about the Palestinians and the fact they were isolated from their farms and livelihood, and I tried to explain my feelings to my husband.  We are a pro-Israel family and my opinions surprised him.  There were some quiet moments, and some difficult answers.  We both accept Torah and the Biblical boundaries given to the Israelites, but somewhere in my heart, I shared how one surely cannot look into the sad eyes of the Palestinian women and children, and the old folks, and think they cannot live there and work their land.  My husband offered that I had allowed my faith to be questioned and that the more one learns, the more information one has to sort and sift through, allowing potential to stray from beliefs.    I definitely agree with that last bit, and there has been so much information coming in from so many different directions that I have felt a bit of earth shaking inside of myself.  But I never offered to go there.....only that I know that when Messiah comes, He will bring Peace.  Until then, can we not try to get along? Surely we can work towards peace, try to accept others, even without understanding them, just try to accept...can this be so bad? In the still of the night, our opinions seeming at unusual odds with one another, he was quiet, offering finally that I needed to talk with my Uncle Isaac.....end of conversation.  But I could still see those sad eyes, I still felt torn, I still wished for acceptance that could lead to earthly peace...and sleep was elusive.....









3 comments:

  1. I am also from a pro-Israel family and the wall is a very difficult concept for me as well. Living in East Jerusalem, I was able to look out my window and the wall was only a few hundred feet away. In my mind the wall made me safe. Not being in Israel now and learning about the wall and the Palestinians makes me upset. It is so difficult to see both sides of it. While I feel terrible for the Palestinians, I think of all of the lives it has saved with a decline in bombings and other terror attacks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know that is right...I just wish there could be peace on earth that could allow Israelis and Palestinians to co-exist without fear...without walls.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this post because I can truly feel the internal struggle you are facing. I think it's great you are able to see both sides of the conflict, which is probably what is causing you to have these conflicting and perhaps contradictory feelings. It is something I am striving for myself, because as I briefly mentioned in class, I usually only see the conflict through the Palestinian perspective, but recognizing both sides is very important for any significant changes to occur.

    ReplyDelete