Pages

Friday, February 8, 2013

Who I am: 55 years in 500 words


I stood in line, sat in front of a camera and smiled, and walked away with a thin plastic card clenched in my fist, like thousands before me, only… I cried.  My life has been a journey through time, the product of experiences, choices, and dreams, and this card was the doorway to a dream I thought could never be mine. 

A baby boomer born in Napa Valley, California, my childhood education was earned as a US Navy brat.  Schools in California, Virginia, and Maryland taught me a lot about differences within our own country, while three years in Japan and two in Scotland allowed me to learn of other cultures and peoples.  A time of exploration and adventure, my sister, brother, and I made paths through forgotten bamboo groves exploring the Japanese countryside and rode rusty bicycles down many Scottish roads, in awe of hills covered with purple heather and Highland cattle.  And I learned that life was a beautiful journey.

A teenage American woman during the free-spirited early 1970’s, I learned a lot about the consequences of choice.  My high school diploma in one hand and my letter of acceptance to Indiana University in the other, I realized that dreams of higher education were not as important as life growing within.  At that time in rural southern Indiana, girls didn’t go to college pregnant.  They married.  So marriage I chose.  And I learned that life was a journey with pain.  But I also learned the beauty of love between mother and child.

As a devoted mother and homesteader of the 1980’s, I learned what it was like to step into a man’s world in the workforce, becoming the first woman pipefitter/plumber within the Central Foundry division of General Motors.  Serving an 8000 hour apprenticeship to earn my journeyman status, I worked long hours of backbreaking work, retiring after a thirty year career.  During those years I learned that life was not a fair journey for women.  But I also learned the value of hard work and that you can realize great accomplishment if you never give up.

Two children to support as a single mother, I bought a farm and remarried. Years of experiences and choices allowed me to appreciate that which I may have overlooked when I was younger.   During the 1990’s I learned the joy of being married to your best friend and the wonders of two more children, and I learned that life was a journey of satisfaction and peace worth discovering. 

The new millennium brought with it rekindled family relationships, precious grandchildren, and homeschooling for our two youngest children.  As our son finished high school and pursued his dream of attending Indiana University with their AFROTC program the fall of 2011, I remembered my dream of so long ago…..

I stood in line, sat in front of a camera and smiled, and walked away with a thin plastic card clenched in my fist, like thousands before me, only… I cried.  My student ID card from Indiana University was the doorway to my dream, and I learned within my life’s long journey dreams really can come true.






6 comments:

  1. Wow. That story is similar to so many in this country, and yet so unique and amazing. I think one of the greatest things about American university education is that it is open to all. It is inspiring to learn with, from, and next to people of such diverse backgrounds.

    I would be interested to hear more about your time in Japan and Scotland. As Americans, it is so vital that we expose ourselves to another culture, another country, and (in my personal interest) another political world. I am interested to see how the diplomatic/ military relations you were at least aware of as a child and young adult affect the ways you think about this Israeli/Palestinian conflict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barb,

    I really appreciate you sharing your story. It reminds me of my grandma, who after graduating from high school went straight to work, was soon married and then pregnant. Three kids later, she knew something was missing and went back to earn her undergraduate and masters degrees. What followed was a 30+ year career and the fiercest sense of independence I have ever known.

    Your story and my grandma's speak to the opportunities available in this country. No matter where your life takes you, you can always change courses. This is not so everywhere.

    To me, this reinforces the importance of Israel and by extension Jerusalem. Israel, much like the United States, has given Jews the opportunity to seek new opportunities, learn without restriction and practice any profession they qualify for. Sadly, I do not think this opportunity exists for all of the land's inhabitants. I have realized this more during the course of the semester. There is a disenfranchised population whose future is bleak and whose prospects are most certainly unclear.

    Thank you again for sharing.

    Ethan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story I think is a really important one, Barb, and thank you for posting it! My grandparents never went to college, although my parents did, and I know how upset they all were that they never got to go due to other obligations. I think as college students in this kind of fake reality of college life can often forget what a privilege it is to be here and able to study as we are. It also struck me how amazing it is how much can change over just a few decades. It makes me wonder what we'll think thirty years from now, when we look back at 2013 and how things were.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Barb! Your story is so inspirational. It is truly incredible that you are back at school and that you are enjoying and appreciating every moment of it. My grandmother always tells me that she had children and wished she had gone back to school, just like you have. The description about you receiving your student ID was touching and truly personal. I feel like I got to know you more as a reader of this post. Your experience about being a woman in the workforce must be very strong and I would love to hear more about this in a different post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your posts. I really appreciate them! It's only when I look in the mirror that I realize I am the older (!) student on campus. But it means so much to me to be able to earn my college diploma and earn it here at IU. I am honored to share this awesome class with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barb! I love your story. You are so unique and have seen so much in your lifetime and even in your childhood alone. I think that all of these experiences together have brought you to be the person you are today. It is so amazing that you started college at the same time as your child and I am so happy for you that you have finally been given the opportunity to study at IU and share your knowledge with the other students in your classes.

    ReplyDelete